Saturday, October 25, 2008

Draft of Philosophy Paper

Karla Mancilla
Draft of Philosophy Paper

My vision for the world is for every individual to have access to a healthy environment which includes, pure drinking water, fresh foods, a safe place to sleep and opportunites to provide for themselves. My core values include that an education should be focused in teaching ourselves and create opportunities for others to learn about a world where peace, fairness, clean water, air, and good health for all surpasses the focus on profit.

My beliefs about the purpose of adult education, Education should also be accessible to everyone and adult educators are capable to help individuals overcome race, class, gender and obstacles that might hinder their learning in this world.

My beliefs about adults as learners, is that every individual should be able to think critically and make the right decision to empower themselves and their families to provide for themselves. My beliefs about what counts as knowledge and what should be taught in the curriculum. Still working on this one

3 comments:

Peggy Cain said...

Hi Karla,
Your vision for the world is a strong start to your paper. Very clear.

Your purposes section should focus on the outcomes of adult education. Although access is important, the focus of this section is on what adult ed should be trying to do. I'll hand out a sheet in class tonight that will raise some of these questions. For example, you could expand on how adult ed can help people overcome obstacles to learning. And then what types of learning should be able to happen? What is a well-educated adult in the US or Mexico today able to know and do?

Keep working on the other sections. The goal is to write a 4-5 page paper. Peggy

kristina said...

Hi Karla,

I think your vision is strong. I too am struggling with articulating my beliefs as I focused on access as you did and not outcomes. I do believe we must answer the accessibility question as well as the outcome question. I have thought a lot about the topic and have focused a bit on providing opportunity through some types of government funding that would allow anyone, regardless of age, class, entrance exam scores, etc., to have access to education as an adult. Perhaps it boils down to paying the community back for the education in some form. This might be tough to police?! While I haven't yet solidified my thoughts, I thought I would share on the off chance it will assist you as well as you complete this section.
I know you are still working on the other sections and perhaps reviewing the blogs of others and the comments provided might give you that lift. While their ideas are different, it helps to put my own thoughts into context. The comments of others, because many of our papers are so similar, helped me get some ideas for my own in getting to the point.
I did appreciate, unlike mine, you clearly summed up your thoughts. Mine is a bit rambly but I learned a trick in an Effective Communication class that says - write down all your thoughts in the draft and then go back and remove duplicate ideas and whittle down your paper. When someone reads the paper, ask yourself, will clearly understand the message and intent? This advice has come in handy for me in moving me past my tendency to say too many words without summing it up:-)

Kristina

rosemarysplace said...

Karla, I apologize for not responding sooner to your philosophy paper draft. I think that the points you make are clear and ring true for me also. They seems to fit the view of you that came across in your obituary.

In your beliefs about learners, you describe what you think learners ought to be able to do (as a result of education?). I wonder what you think adult learners are like. Are they all eager to learn? Do they need a leader to help them learn? What do they think about their educational experiences?

By now you have probably found more answers to your questions about what counts as knowledge and what should be taught in your curriculum. I don’t know what it is specifically, but from what you’ve said, I think your curriculum would probably include activities and information that lead to empowerment in whatever area the adults are learning about. Your learners may be those who do not yet have clean air and water or live in peace. What would a curriculum be like that helped people achieve those things?